A Year at Sainsbury's

My diary of weekly trips to Sainsbury's to do my shopping whilst my wife is abroad for a year!

SATURDAY 2 SEPTEMBER - MY FUTURE'S ORANGE!

My first trip to Sainsbury’s as an enforced bachelor! I am reasonably well organised – my list is in some sort of order and I attack the task with gusto. Luckily I have a £1 coin with me so I can release my trolley from captivity, although I think I need to have a ‘permanent pound’ in the car as I can see that in future I might no be so lucky and carrying 2 baskets round instead of a trolley would be tricky. Saturday is not the day to visit! The store is very busy and progress is slow. My goodness it’s cold in the refrigerated area! You certainly need to keep moving - too long mulling over the hams and quiches could see hypothermia setting in. I note that there are 24 checkouts of which 6 are cash only/10 items or less etc and 7 to 24 are real checkouts with umbers over them. Before I leave I sketch out a plan of the first level of the car park (other shoppers eye me with suspicion) and resolve to try and park in as many different spaces as possible in the next 12 months. Sad, I know, but pioneering none the less! So, a successful visit - I can see that there is a lot that I can turn my attention in the coming weeks. Well, not that successful as it turned out because I forgot some things! So, I have to make a quick return visit on Sunday. How very annoying, hopefully just teething troubles. Although having said that, I’m quite glad I had to come back because I notice on my Sunday bill that it says ‘THINK 21 Cashier Confirmed Over 16’ whereas on my Saturday bill it says ‘THINK 21 Cashier Confirmed Over 18’. So can 16 and 17 year olds get away with something only on a Sunday? Some research needed! This time I go through the ‘10 items or less lane’ as I only have 6 items. There is an annoying man in front of me who insists on using a credit card for a transaction for the princely sum of £3.69. Why do people do this?
Items bought 33 + 6
Cost £57.17 + £7.63
Average cost per item £1.66
Checkout number 14 + 22
Nectar Points balance 1084