A Year at Sainsbury's

My diary of weekly trips to Sainsbury's to do my shopping whilst my wife is abroad for a year!

FRIDAY 8 SEPTEMBER - CHEESE & HAM ACTING

Now this is the day and time (around 2 o’clock) to shop. The store is virtually empty and I get round in record time, albeit not much of a record after only 1 previous visit (ignoring the quick after-visit). Still a record is a record! Maybe I ought to time my visits and divide it by the number of items purchased which would give a buy per minute ratio? This would then be something I could genuinely compare from visit to visit to see how I am doing. Anyway, I am really well organised this time – I have my list prepared in ambulatory order! Salads, then fruit, then vegetables, then the cheese & ham counter and so on. Talking of the cheese and ham counter I think this is an area that I will be reporting on a lot in future. Today there were six (sic) people behind the counter and one of the young men had realised that if he put his net hat in front of his face and held one of the big knives in front of him in a menacing manner he looked like a fencer! This was greeted with little mirth by his colleagues and even less by the waiting customers. I must watch out for more sparkling entertainment from the cheese & ham team in future! There is a big promotion on wine at the moment and a lot of it is 25% off. I guess the £8 a bottle stuff just doesn’t sell these days and so slashing the price moves it along nicely. I bought a bottle of Chilean white which was reduced by 25%. At the check out I notice that the conveyor belt that shoves all your shopping into a big pile isn’t working and I ask the check out girl why not. She mumbles that she doesn’t know so I vow to ask the same question every time I check out and see how long it takes to get an answer. Perhaps Health & Safety have closed them all down? On the way out the car park barrier is broken. Most people would have paid before they notice this so there is little or no incentive for the car park owner to get it repaired. Oh, I forgot to say that when I arrived I sped through the car park and drove straight into a parking place without having to follow the retards who trundle around the car park looking up every alley for a slot. On the way home, congratulating myself on an efficient shop, I realise I forgot to buy the steak for tonight’s supper. Oh well, chicken it is!
Items bought 27
Cost £45.86
Average cost per item £1.70
Checkout number 13
Nectar Points balance 1174