A Year at Sainsbury's

My diary of weekly trips to Sainsbury's to do my shopping whilst my wife is abroad for a year!

FRIDAY 15 SEPTEMBER - "BELTS ON PLEASE..."

Bit earlier this week so the store is quite busy with lunchtime shoppers. Must curb my excitement next week and delay the visit until after 2 o’clock. Not a particularly interesting visit, although whilst debating whether to buy a doughnut or a Belgian bun at the bread & cakes display I overheard a conversation between 2 girls in the bakery. One of them has a large spider on the top of her curtains which although she is not afraid of spiders she is clearly concerned about it. It seems to have been there for a while, so long in fact she has called it Winston! Quite why she chose that name she didn’t tell or maybe she did after I had chosen a doughnut (12p, a bargain) and hurried on. Got to the checkout and asked the girl why the conveyor belt doesn’t work (as I resolved I would do) to which she replied that it does and promptly turned on a switch. ‘Would you like it on?’ she asks as my cauliflower, tomatoes, Special K and the like pile up at the end. ‘No thanks’ I reply. So, the mystery is solved – they do work but only turn them on if customers ask them to. So in reality they stay turned off. I notice that the stalk with the pin number machine on has collapsed so the whole thing is a bit of a mess, I’ll have to check in due course to see if it has been fixed. As I walk to my car an arriving driver sees me and stops waiting for my space. So, I deliberately slow down and take a while unloading my shopping from the trolley, taking it back to the trolley park to get my £1 back, getting in and driving off. When I finally do go there is a good queue built up and as I go round toward the exit I see lots of free spaces. Why do people do it? The car park barrier is still broken. When I get home I notice that my bill says ‘Published terms and Conditions Apply’. Whatever are these? Where are they published? I will enquire about this, something to look forward to!
Items bought 45
Cost £77.65
Cost per item £1.73
Checkout number 10
Nectar Points balance 1328