A Year at Sainsbury's

My diary of weekly trips to Sainsbury's to do my shopping whilst my wife is abroad for a year!

THURSDAY 19 APRIL 2007 - TRICKY QUICKIE

I've had to return to Sainsbury's only 2 days after my last visit due to figure conscious daughter demanding copious quantities of salad! Actually I'm the kind of person whose cup is always half full rather than half empty so I'm using this mini-shopping trip as an excuse to go through one of the '10 items or less' checkouts and thereby claim another scalp! Disappointingly, though, I don't know which ones I've already been through so it's all down to chance! The excitement of it all (not). When I arrived, though, I found I didn't have my wallet so I was on a strict budget of £5.59 (all the change I had in my pocket). This required me to add up my purchases as I went along and not forget the totals, which I found difficult as I was being constantly distracted by all the activity going on around me. Anyway, I got it away as you will read (not much) later! Although it was a very short trip I noticed some ready meals with a notice saying that the tray in which they are packaged bio-degrades at the same speed as a banana! This is very interesting - if these meals can be packaged in a truly environmentally friendly piece of packaging, then why not everything else? However, I was somewhat suspicious as the picture of the tray in the notice didn't look like the tray in which the meals were packaged. Anyway, it's worth looking into more closely so more on this in due course. Also, my daughter kindly (?) pointed out that the Wheel of Health (or whatever it is called, I can't remember) on my quiche lorraine (or Lorraine Quiche as she is known on my bill - the well known French tart) is predominantly red, ie it's a killer. Perhaps it should be renamed the Wheel of Death for this particular product! Anyway she has challenged me to buy a much healthier quiche in future (if that's possible). I'll let you know how I get on. Finishing on a high note I went through aisle 3 at the checkouts - another notch on my trolley! And I got my list away for £4.93!!
Items bought 7
Cost £4.93
Average cost per item £0.70
Checkout number 3
Nectar points 1282 (as last time, didn't have my card)
Active Kids vouchers 29