A Year at Sainsbury's

My diary of weekly trips to Sainsbury's to do my shopping whilst my wife is abroad for a year!

WEDNESDAY 25 APRIL 2007 - THE WHEEL OF DEATH

Peace at last! The Godwin brood have all returned whence they came so I can get back to what I do best - shopping for one! Quite a bit to talk about this week so here goes ... First, I committed the cardinalest sin (not sure cardinalest is a word, but you know what I mean) - I bought a takeaway sandwich! Normally I don't buy these as I think they are ridiculously expensive for what they are but I spotted a cheese and onion sandwich and just had to have it (for my lunch). And very nice it was too! Next, I took a closer look at the ready meal the tray for which is supposed to bio-degrade at the same speed as a banana. On the packaging there was a green triangle with a line through it and '7 Other' beneath it. Whatever does that mean? Luckily the stocker upper was in the vicinity so I asked him what it was all about. He was very polite and chatty but didn't have a clue either. He looked for the notice that I saw last week (he put it up!) but it was nowhere to be found. So, I did a bit more research (internet) and I have found out that there are 7 green triangles (you guessed it, each on has a different number from 1 to 7 in the middle) with initials beneath them. They are all for different types of plastic - for example, 1 is polyethylene terephthalate (fizzy drinks bottles to you and me), 5 is polypropylene (margarine tubs) and 7 is ... other! 'Other' is defined as 'Any other plastics that do not fall into any of the above categories. - An example is melamine, which is often used in plastic plates and cups'. It goes on to say that 'although presence of the symbol implies that the plastic item is recyclable, the symbol is actually only intended to identify the plastic resin from which the item was made'. So that's alright then? Well, no, actually because I am none the wiser about what I am supposed to do with this banana like tray in order to recycle it responsibly. I guess it would go in the general dustbin (which I think goes to landfill) which doesn't sound particularly responsible but as it supposedly has the biodegradeability (how about that for a word) of a banana presumably in a few months there will be nothing left of it. Why is all this so bloody complicated? Surely there must be a more simple way of telling people what to do in an easy to understand way? Finally on the subject of recycling for this week, I did e-mail Sainsbury's about their recycleable small plastic bags and I am now waiting for a reply. Next, the Wheel of Health. You will recall that I was told off by my daughter for buying a quiche with 4 reds and 1 orange in the Wheel of Health (or Wheel of Death in this case). So, mindful of her advice, this week I sought out a healthier quiche. Bit of an oxymoron I know but, believe it or not, I found one! It was a Mediterranean Style Vegetable Quiche (not sure what Mediterranean Style means - full of water perhaps?) and it had 4 oranges and (yippee) 1 green. In the basket it went and whilst it was more healthy (or less unhealthy) than my usual quiche I have to say it was pretty grim. Clearly health comes at a cost in taste! Anyway, having saved some reds on my quiche I then bought a coffee cake which had 4 reds and 1 orange. My goodness, this must be the worst thing ever - I wonder if it is possible to buy anything with 5 reds??? But it was great! A child in a trolley said hello to me today. I think I should point out that Sainsbury's are not selling children (Active Kids vouchers take on a new sinister meaning?) but he (or she) was in that seat type thing in his (or her) mum's trolley. Ever polite I replied 'Hello' in a Mr Bean type voice, much to the child's amazement. Excitedly, he (or she) then proceeded to tell his (or her) mum that 'that man said hello to me'. Needless to say I quickly looked away and moved on - one can be arrested for that kind of thing these days. Next, cheese. The cheese and ham counter sells loose cheese (what a surprise!) and I took a note of the price of Cathedral City (£7.45 per kilogram) with a view to checking it with the packed price later on in the orangery. This I duly did - the packed price is £7.65 per kilogram. As I buy about 1/2 a kilogram at a time buying it packed is costing me an extra 10p. Well, even though 10p is 10p, as there is usually a queue for the cheese and ham counter I don't think that 10p is too bad an extra price to pay for not having to queue. Not sure of the equivalent hourly rate but still worth it I think. Well, that's about it for this week other than to tell you that I spent £35 today and was therefore entitled to 3 Active Kids vouchers but was given ... 18! So, I've now got 47 and if I was a school I could exchange these for ... nothing! I had a quick look at the catalogue and and I can nearly afford a pair of Stampabouts (56 vouchers). These are upside down flowerpot type things with rope on that kids stand on and then walk with pulling the rope upwards as they go. So, in a couple of weeks time the first school to e-mail me asking for my vouchers could be the proud owner of a pair of Stampabouts! Wot, no e-mails yet?
Items bought 23
Cost £35.28
Average cost per item £1.53
Checkout number 11
Nectar points 1404
Acitve Kids vouchers 47