A Year at Sainsbury's

My diary of weekly trips to Sainsbury's to do my shopping whilst my wife is abroad for a year!

MONDAY 5 JUNE 2007 - STARS IN MY EYES

Well, I did what I said I would do and took my broken wine bottle back. The (senior) gentleman behind the enquiry counter freely admitted that he had not come across this before but was incredibly helpful and cheerfully returned my £3.99. He had to input it all to the computer and was a bit stumped over 'Reason for Return' but after a bit of discussion we agreed that 'Damaged' was as good a reason as any. He said that the bottle will be returned to the supplier for investigation, I wonder if it will? Perhaps I should e-mail Sainsbury's in London to tell them that a broken bottle is on its way! Talking of e-mailing Sainsbury's I have just asked them another question. On my Cheese & Spring Onion sandwich (naughty but nice!) there are 2 asterisks after the price but for the life of me I cannot see on the packaging what this means. I see that * means 'From cow's milk' but ** is a mystery - so I've had to send another e-mail to Sainsbury's I'm afraid. I'll let you know what transpires. Today I had my second wonky trolley since starting my Year at Sainsbury's. Not bad! Mind you, this was incredibly wonky with a complete mind of its own so I have to admit it was a bit of a trial getting round without seriously injuring my fellow customers. I had a very short shopping list this week (not quite sure why, I have been eating normally) so I wasn't in the store very long and, as a result, there isn't much to report. At the checkout there was a big notice stuck to the till saying that there has been some impropriety with regard to Coinstar vouchers and that cashiers have to be wary. You will recall that the Coinstar 'turns coins into cash' (a bizarre slogan, but there you are). Unfortunately I didn't get time to read all the notice so I'm not sure what's been going on but it did remind me that I have yet to use the Coinstar, which I will do next week. Success! I put £1 into the savings stamp machine and got out ... a savings stamp! It's a funny little thing with 'Sainsbury's', '£1' and a reference number on it and a thin metal strip down the left hand side, presumably some kind of security device. Anyway I've stuck it on my card (this is all too exciting for words) and I think I'll get another 4 and then cash them in. It should be interesting to see how it is all handled as I can't believe anybody but me is doing this. Interestingly the gum tasted very odd, a Basics product perhaps? The Kids Vouchers have finished (boo hoo) and as no-one has e-mailed me asking for my vouchers I will donate all 69 of them to the primary school down the road. And that's about it for this week, short and sharp!
Items bought 22
Cost £26.97
Average cost per item £1.22
Checkout no 19
Nectar points 1803
Active Kids vouchers 69